Salary: Up to AED30K per month depending on qualifications and experience – Accommodation and Utilities Allowance if eligible – Annual Flight – Health Insurance
This exciting role will see the successful candidate become the School Business Manager of a new and innovative educational hub in the heart of Dubai.
The School Business Manager is responsible for providing professional leadership and management of school support staff in partnership with the teaching staff, to enhance their effectiveness in order to achieve improved standards of learning and achievement in the school.
The School Business Manager promotes the highest standards of business ethos within the administrative function of the school and strategically ensures the most effective use of resources in support of the school’s learning objectives.
The School Business Manager’s main areas of responsibility encompass the following areas:
Strategic & Planning:
- Contribute to the development of the school’s strategic plan, and oversee the implementation of that plan in coordination with the Principal and Citizens School;
- Support coordinated strategic development through working with senior colleagues at the School and the Management Company
- Preparation and implementation of a detailed support organisation plan, which translates into an effective organisation supporting the teaching areas of the School.
- Attend Senior Leadership Team and appropriate sub-committee meetings.
- Negotiate and influence strategic decision making within the school’s Senior Leadership Team and in the absence of the Principal, take delegated responsibility for Financial and other decisions.
- Primary responsibility for data entry into the schools accounting system.
- Preparing annual estimates of income and expenditure
- Support the Principal and Citizens School by advising on any financial implications relating to future strategies
- Ensure that all financial controls are robust, and that the school is able to pass audit in a professional manner
- Monitoring income and expenditure in relation to budget by the use of a monthly management accounting system and presenting regular reports
- Preparing pupils’ bills for the school and nursery, and collecting all fees and extras.
- Managing fee debtors and instructing legal recourse as appropriate
- Payment of all salaries and wages. including PAYE
- Ensuring approval and payment of supplier invoices
- Liaise with the SENDCo in managing the regulations from KHDA in the support and education of all students with EHCP plans
- Preparing financial appraisals of particular projects
- Administering schemes for the payment of scholarships and School Business Manageries.
- Separation of financial duties in the School Business Managery to minimise risk of fraud
- Manage all capital building projects. Ensure that such projects are brought in on time, on budget and with the agreed quality
- Ensure that there is a rolling programme for building maintenance, and that School facilities are maintained properly
- Manage the school site so that the school is well presented at all times to include the upkeep of playing fields, athletics facilities, gardens and grounds
- Ensure that all legal responsibilities for managing and maintaining the school buildings and land, and compliance with statutory and regulatory standards are met
- The installation and maintenance of equipment for the detection, warning, protection and escape from fire
- The appointment and monitoring of all outside contractors for the purpose of maintenance and repair of school buildings and land
- The maintenance of the lighting and ventilation in all school buildings and efficiency of the plant and letting of energy supply contracts. Promotion of energy and resource conservation.
- Land drainage, maintenance of boundaries, roads and rights of way.
- Arranging for staff accommodation and dealing with the letting of property to school employees and third parties, including the provision of appropriate licences and leases.
- Advising on and taking the appropriate security measures to protect the security of staff and pupils, and school buildings.
Compliance, Risk Management, Health and Safety – Human Resources
- Oversight of the school’s HR processes and procedures in coordination with the Principal and the recruitment of quality support staff into the school
- Maintaining accurate and current information on competitive salaries
- Oversight of the safer recruitment processes, ensuring that all required compliance is fully implemented in coordination with the Principal
- Manage fire procedures so that all pupils are safe from fire
- Implement key policies and strategies to ensure that the school is fully compliant (both legally and with school standards) at all times. Implementing the School Health & Safety Policy and ensuring that the school adopts best practice in all areas of health and safety. Monitoring of the risk assessment processes. Take professional advice as required
- Ensure that the school is fully insured, ensuring compliance with all relevant aspects of employment law
- Seek and make use of specialist expertise in relation to HR issues.
- Consult with relevant people and other parties to introduce new technology or improve existing technology for different purposes.
- Ensure that the school has a strategy for using technology aligned to the overall vision and plans for the school ensuring value for money.
- Through the appointed brokers, ensuring the School has adequate insurance cover at all times
- Overseeing the Administration, Catering, Grounds and Cleaning operations and ensuring that the ‘In House’ teams provide a high quality service.
- Annual appraisals of all support staff, being members of the Administration, Catering, Grounds and Cleaning teams.
Skills and Knowledge Requirements:
- Strong communication and listening skills, both written and oral, with internal and external stakeholders
- Committed team player with a collaborative approach together with an ability and willingness to create a working environment in which staff are empowered to take decisions
- Good sense of humour and the ability to create a working environment in which people work hard and enjoy being part of the team
- Develops and maintains strong and positive relationships with the School, the Principal, other staff and parents
- Demonstrates personal strength of character through transparency, integrity and fairness. Has a strong sense of personal accountability
- Demonstrates a commitment to sound principles of management through the establishment of clear standards and expectations of performance management, and through delegation and time management
- Demonstrates the ability and willingness to act as a critical friend and/or adviser
- Demonstrates good judgement and a calm approach
Qualifications and experience:
- Strong, working knowledge of financial management and budgeting in a comparably sized or larger organisation
- Senior management experience
- Project management experience, including the ability to maintain School buildings and grounds.
- Track record of working successfully with a diverse range of stakeholders
- Development of strategy and policy in the implementation of strategic change
- Experience of property management would be advantageous
- Commercial experience would be highly desirable
- Computer literate and a confident user of IT
Please note that you are wholly responsible for fact checking in respect of the information provided by schools. Please also check for the latest visa and work permit requirements that may apply.